Europe’s largest cultural popular festival!
The Ghent Festivities take place during the week of 21 July every year in the historic centre of the city of Ghent, in the heart of Flanders (Belgium).
10 days of free partying, on various squares: music, international street theatre and puppet busker acts, theatre performances, guided tours and so much more.
Four international festivals make the Ghent Festivities a genuine high-minded cultural event!
- MiramirO – http://www.miramiro.be/
The most renowned theatre groups from all over the world provide astonishing spectacles.
- The international Puppet Busker festival – http://www.eftcgent.be/
The European Centre for Puppet Theatre programmes the best puppet and object shows from across the globe during the International Puppet Busker Festival.
- Gent Jazz Festival – http://www.gentjazz.com/
Absolute top jazz acts give their best on stage every night at the Bijloke site!
- 10 Days off – http://www.10daysoff.be/
Belgium’s most important electronic music festival lasting several days programmes contemporary club music by young talent, striking revelations and famous names in the Vooruit Arts Centre.
The “Ghent Festivities ®” is mainly a mix of music genres!
Walk from one square to the next and discover a mix of pop, rock, folk, soul, funk, reggae and disco. World music, cabaret, Flemish showbiz, Cover bands and Ghent groups are also present!
Get to know all music genres at the free concerts on the 11 squares.
- Sint-Baafsplein – http://www.onderdedraak.be/
- Polé Polé festival – http://www.polepole.be/
- Duvel Droomschip
- Groentenmarkt – http://www.vzwhappydays.be/
- Vlasmarkt – http://www.charlatan.be/
- Bij Sint-Jabobs - http://www.trefpuntvzw.be/
- Baudelopark – http://www.trefpuntvzw.be/
The Ghent Festivities are also a cultural celebration!
For children there are children’s afternoons in the Zuidpark with a huge bouncy castle festival, high-minded puppet theatre, a circus and a fair. Some stages in Ghent present a varied children’s and youngster’s offer and the Youth Department will be transformed into a youth village.
Young and old can also enjoy fireworks, theatre performances, the Ghent Festivities parade, the Stroppendagers and Keizer Karel Foundation Guild Tour, Bal 1900, and so much more…
- Click here to read the history (1.191kb)
- Click here to read a study about the Ghent Festivities (776kb)
- Click here for more information (20kb - pdf)
- Click here to read the folder